Kurucz trial in death of infant son



A Calgary father has pleaded not responsible to second-degree homicide in the death of his infant son, as courtroom heard the person’s 911 name in which he stated he was making an attempt to calm the infant down.

The trial for Anthony Karl Kurucz, 32, began Monday in the Court of King’s Bench in Calgary. It is scheduled to run for nearly three weeks.

Police have stated emergency crews had been known as to a Calgary residence in April 2018 to assist a three-month-old in medical misery and that Kurucz was alone along with his son on the time. The infant, Jayden Cyluck-Kurucz, was unconscious and he died in hospital two days later.

Kurucz was charged in September 2019 after police stated the story he supplied to medical workers was inconsistent with the boy’s signs.

On Monday, courtroom heard a recording of the 911 name from Kurucz that got here in round 12:15 p.m. on April 25, 2018.

“My child was freaking out,” Kurucz stated on the decision. “I used to be making an attempt to calm him down, rock him, that sort of factor.”

He stated there was blood popping out of his son’s nostril.

“I’m freaking out as a result of my spouse simply went to take our canine to the vet,” Kurucz stated. 

He instructed the dispatcher he believed the boy’s coronary heart was nonetheless beating.

“He’s very floppy, he is very limp,” stated Kurucz.

When requested by the dispatcher whether or not the infant was respiration, he responded: “I am unable to inform. I do know his coronary heart is thrashing, although.”

He then requested whether or not his son was going to reside.

“I do not know what to do,” stated Kurucz on the decision. “I did not do something fallacious to him. I used to be simply making an attempt to calm him down and rock him.

“He’s not going to die, is he?”

Kurucz requested the dispatcher, Craig Moxley, whether or not police had been coming. Moxley stated paramedics and firefighters had been on the best way. Moxley confirmed the decision throughout his testimony in courtroom Monday.

Court heard hearth crews had been the primary to reach on the residence in southeastern Calgary.

One of the senior firefighters, Greg Heise, testified that the crew discovered Kurucz outdoors.

“The father was holding Jayden on the sidewalk,” Heise stated Monday. “We had been most likely caught just a little off guard.

“The father stated, ‘He’s not respiration.'”

Heise stated first responders positioned Jayden on the bottom. His colleague began CPR whereas he tried to open Jayden’s airway, he stated.

“I used to be not in a position to try this,” stated Heise, noting there was dried blood across the child’s nostril and mouth.

He stated the daddy did not present a lot info when Kurucz was requested what occurred.

“He was freaking out,” stated Heise, who famous it was troublesome to get a transparent reply from the daddy. “He initially stayed with us.

“At some level, he talked about he wanted to have a cigarette.”

Heise stated he and his colleague continued to deal with Jayden till paramedics arrived a couple of minutes later.

“He was pale,” stated Heise, including there was a bluish tinge across the child’s nostril and mouth. “His eyes had been open however not reactive.”

Another firefighter and a paramedic are scheduled to take the stand Monday afternoon.

This report by The Canadian Press was first printed Nov. 7, 2022.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here