Lawyer collapses during Emergencies Act inquiry, delaying proceedings


Proceedings have been paused on the public inquiry trying into the federal authorities’s use of the Emergencies Act on Thursday afternoon after a medical incident.

A lawyer representing the Public Order Emergency Commission collapsed whereas he was questioning Ontario’s deputy solicitor common, the second witness of the day.

Emergency responders have been known as to the Library and Archives Canada constructing in downtown Ottawa and proceedings have been stopped. legal professionals and spectators have been cleared from the listening to room.

Gabriel Poliquin was within the early levels of analyzing Mario Di Tommaso when he collapsed to the ground. His situation is unclear.

Poliquin is a part of a workforce of legal professionals working for the fee, which is tasked with investigating the circumstances surrounding the Liberal authorities’s resolution to invoke the Emergencies Act for the primary time in Canadian historical past on Feb. 14.

The fee will change witnesses when proceedings resume. Ian Freeman of the Ontario Ministry of Transportation will testify, with Di Tommaso resuming his testimony tomorrow.

Public hearings, which started Oct. 13 and are set to proceed till Nov. 25, have centered this week on testimony about border blockades in Windsor, Ont., and Coutts, Alta.

Earlier Thursday, the mayor of Coutts stated RCMP seemed to be caught off-guard by a protest blockade of the U.S-Canada border crossing final winter, although he had warned the provincial authorities it may occur.

Jim Willett despatched an electronic mail to then-premier Jason Kenney and the provincial solicitor common on Jan. 27 to warn in regards to the potential of a blockade, and was assured the RCMP had been alerted.

He stated he was anxious about sustaining important entry to the freeway within the small border city of 245 folks, and he additionally warned the protest may lead to a global incident.

On Jan. 29 a big convoy of vehicles gathered on the border, with some driving onto the median and ditches and blocking the highway.

The mayor stated the RCMP did not set up a big police presence till three days later.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here